Sunday, February 22, 2009

Top grossing comedy movies

Some of the top grossing comedy movies that have came through in the last thirty years has some familiar names but also has some surprises that you may not have thought of. I only could find a list that includes from 1974 to 2004. It could be very different including the recent five years, but it is still nice to see what movies have been the most successful. The list incorporates the fact that ticket prices have changed in time and it takes the 2004 average price of $6.21.
Number one on the list is Eddie Murphy's Beverly Hills cop. The Detroit cop Eddie Murphy tracks down his friends killer that leads him to L.A. where he solves the mystery. The number one movie grossed nearly 434 million dollars. Coming in at number two is Home Alone. Macauly Caulkin stars as a young boy alone protecting his house against two bonehead thieves. The number two movie groused a little more than 413 million dollars. Rounding off the top three is the 80's comedy Tootsie. Dustin Hoffman plays a struggling actor who poses as a woman to earn a role in a soap opera. The number three movie grossed a cool 410 million dollars. Other notables on the list was Austin Powers 2 coming in at number eight and Big Daddy earning 243 million and ranking number 18.
Compared to the top ten grossing horror movies the comedy movies struggle to compete with the top 2. Jaws recorded nearly 800 million, in second the exorcist brought in 686 million, but after the top two it eases back down to only 357 million. So in comparsion the top two horror movies blowout the top two comedy but overall the comedies have a wider more successful range and comedies reign supreme!

Jake Olsen

4 comments:

  1. I cannot believe that Beverly Hills Cop was the number 1 movie. I can think of so many better comedies. I guess I never really thought about how comedies struggle compared to horror films. I was good to hear that Austin Powers was able to make it into the top ten as well as Big Daddy. I would like to be able to see if there were any videos in the recent past that have made the top ten. I guess that the whole comedy film business isn't all that lucrative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im with Ethan, i am completely surprised that Beverely Hills Cop made it, and number 1?! I would have liked to see the comparisons from the dramatic and documentary genres as well. What happened to Dumb and Dumber, or the Ace Venturas? Tommy Boy is one of my all time favorites and i doubt that made it. I think alot of it has to do with timing, and advertisements. For example, your not going to make alot on a Christmas movie when you show it in June... Good Post Jake

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your post Jake. The beauty of comedy is that much of it is timeless. Jokes that were portrayed in the films listed are relatable to life even today. One of the major themes that I have noticed about comedies today, however, is that they are full of sexual innuendo and are very crude. It seems that almost every comedy that has come out recently has had some sexual misadventure. These movies include Knocked Up, 40 Year Old Virgin, Sex Drive, etc. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the movies are funny and they have their moments, but it gets old after awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, i can't believe that Beverly Hills Cop was number one. And nice point Beebo about Dumb and Dumber and Tommy Boy! Those are 2 of the funniest movies yet to date.
    I wonder where all of the Will Ferrel movies would rank?
    I was also surprised about Tootsie! I mean it was a funny movie, it had something for everyone, but I didn't think it was that popular anymore. I think that more people should see it though and i might have to give Beverly Hills Cop a shot.

    ReplyDelete