Sunday, March 8, 2009

Types of Comedy

Most of the comedy movies that are made fall under the category of one of the three types of comedies. Slapstick, Dark, and Screwball comedies are the three main genres of the comedy movie and i'll give you some definitions, and some of the more successful of each of these comedic categories.
The first type of comedy and one of the earliest styles of comedies used when making movies is called Slapstick Comedy. Slapstick is a comedy used by more physical and visual actions rather then the words or dialogue. The name Slapstick Comedy comes from the use of a "wooden stick which was used for audience applause". The violent actions are very popular and an example of this type of comedy is the cat and mouse hunt called Tom and Jerry.
The next type of comedy is Dark or Black Comedy, which is more of a verbal type of humor. Dark Comedy is shows the "absurdity, insensibility, and cruelty of the world's society". It uses the more controversial and serious topics going on in the world and pokes fun at them. It makes fun of movies around them and are sometimes parodies of serious movies. A good example of this would be the Scary Movie series that is famous for making fun of many movies and actors in the industry.
The final type of comedy is called Screwball Comedy. Screwball Comedy can be shortly described as a stupid or crazy comedy. It uses a mix of the first two types of comedy and uses a lot of "visage jokes, stupid characters, and sex conflict between characters". A lot of the new century comedies could be described as this and an actor of the screwball comedy would be Will Ferrell.
The three types of comedies have a wide variety and all of the types have had success but i would have to be a big fan of the screwball type of comedies.

Jake Olsen

4 comments:

  1. This was a very good post Jake. I would have to say that my favorite type of comedy is either the Dark comedy or the screwball. I just find it entertaining to see someone do really stupid things. I think that movies such as dumb and dumber are awesome. It would have to take a pretty writer to come up with all the crap that they do. I love every movie that Will Ferrell is in, he is a comedic genius. Comedies, although not that lucrative, are incredibly entertaining. I would rather watch a comedy than any other movie, hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was interesting, reading about the different types of comedies. I would say I like the screwball or slapstick comedies the best. I would have to say the majority of movies I watch are comedies, because I do not enjoy watching scary movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thata boy jake, thanks for the clarification of the different types of comedy. My favorite would definitly have to be the screwball comedy, that catches you off guard, and is known for hilarious phrases, like will ferrels "shake and bake!" or drew carry's "Alllrriigghhtty then!" The slapstick type humor got a little old for me, but the 3 stooges is a good example of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is something new to me. I never knew what the difference really was and now it all makes more sense. I have to say that I really like screwball comedy because of the conflict. It seems to me that all of these types of comedy are great but people do have their own favorite types. What would be really cool is to see you get into some depth with each of these.

    ReplyDelete