Sunday, April 26, 2009

Twitter

One of the newer sensations of communications on the web is the site called Twitter. Twitter interconnects family and friends through short messages by answering the simple question what are you doing. It has become one of the new hot spots following in the steps of MySpace and Facebook.
Part owner of Twitter and creater of Amazaon Jeff Bezos combined with five other companies to create the 57 million dollar online information exchange. While using twitter your messages contain only 140 characters, and Twitter as around 4-5 million users around the world.
Some of the famous Twitter users contain politicians Al Gore and Hillary Clinton, athletes Lance Armstrong and Michael Phelps, actors Will Ferrell and Ashton Kutcher, and singers Taylor Swift and Dave Matthews. One of the most famous incidents i have heard of involving Twitter would be when NBA player Charlie Villanueva used Twitter to say what he was doing while in the locker room during halftime of one of his own games he was playing in. Other incidents of Tweeting have happened in the TV and movie world would be actor from the TV show Heroes Greg Grunberg tweeted about Heroes ending season three by tweeting, "tough to say goodbye to the crew not knowing if any or all of us will return next year".
I would say Twitter is quickly sweeping the internet for the new way to communicate with those around you. It will catch on very quickly with the help from the stars.

Jake Olsen

2 comments:

  1. Good post! I am not really a fan of twitter. In my opinion I think it is kind of stupid. I really don't care to know what is going on in someone's life other than mine at every second. I don't think I would ever join a site like that. But, on the other hand, it could be a good thing for someone who's family and friends live far away, and want to know what is happening during their day and in eachothers lives when they are apart. I personally don't care what the celebrities are doing with their lives either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I'll ever understand the appeal of Twitter. I blogged about Twitter awhile back for another class, and I mentioned the idea that if one is trying to make a point, 140 characters certainly isn't long enough. Twitter reminds me of Facebook statuses. And I know there are some people who are obsessed with updating their Facebook statuses (I'm not one of them). I am a member of Twitter, but my last Tweet had to have been a month ago and I only have two friends. Unless it becomes more popular, I probably won't get into it much.

    ReplyDelete